EQUIVALENCY OF TRAINING INFORMATION
The Equivalency of Training (EOT) process may allow an officer who does not possess a GA POST law enforcement certification to be exempt from having to complete the entire basic law enforcement training course.
Types of officers who may be eligible for the EOT process:
- Eligible Federal Peace Officers
- Military Peace Officers (MP + CID, or equivalent)
- Out-of-State Peace Officers
- Pre-Service Candidates and Inactive Registered Georgia Peace Officers actively employed in law enforcement or who have graduated from a basic law enforcement training course
- Individuals who attended the basic law enforcement training course, in Georgia, and did not complete the certification process
All others will be required to attend the entire basic law enforcement training course.
You may be eligible for an exemption from the full basic law enforcement training course if you also meet the following requirements:
- You attended a basic law enforcement training course in another state or with the federal government
- Your certification as a peace officer in another state or with the federal government is valid
Upon application approval, the EOT candidate will be required to pass the following courses:
- Classroom or Online Instruction:
- Georgia Criminal Law -16 Hours
- Legal Update
- Use of Force
- Community Oriented Policing
- Skills Demonstration with GA POST Certified Firearms Instructor:
- Georgia’s Standard Qualification Course for Firearms Requalification
Note: Legal Update, Use of Force, De-escalation, Community Oriented Policing and Firearms qualifications MUST be completed before being enrolled in the Georgia Criminal Law class. Cobb County Police Department is one of only three agencies allowed by GA POST to offer this training. Other agencies must schedule the class with GA POST which is only offered twice month.
Online courses and registration information can be found at GPSTC. Upon completion of this process, the candidate would be issued a GA POST basic law enforcement certification.
NOTE: Pursuant to O.C.G.A. § 35-8-10 (a) No person required to comply with the certification provisions of this chapter shall be employed or appointed by any law enforcement unit without certification from the council that the applicant has met the pre-employment requirements established in this chapter, and no candidate shall perform any of the duties of a peace officer involving the power of arrest until such training shall have been successfully completed.
To begin the EOT application, please create a user name in the POST Data Gateway. (Visit
gapost.org for instructions on how to register as a new user.) Once you have logged into the POST Data Gateway, click on the applications function and then click on the “New app” button next to “Start New Candidate Application for Basic Certification” on the screen. You will need to complete the application menu items until you get to Agency/Academy information. When you have completed the menu items, send an e-mail to
If you have further questions about your application, you can call the Help Desk at (770)-732-5604 or send an e-mail to the Help Desk.
FEES: There is no fee for EOT and Application Processing.